How To Ace Contouring For Your Face Shape
Posted by Rachael Wheeler in
Contouring is a tricky business, and for a while I thought I was doomed never to understand how to contour my round face. Who’s with me here?
To learn the correct way how to contour your face shape can be tricky, but once you master the technique simply bronze, highlight and watch those killer cheekbones emerge.
Contouring and highlighting are great ways to enhance your best features, and always look better together. But every face shape is different, which means the method of contouring can vary for everybody for example how to contour a round face differs from a heart shaped face. To help narrow it down we’ve put together an easy guide to contouring for you (aren’t we nice).
Contouring is using a matte bronzer or powder that's ideally 2 shades darker than your skin tone. This helps to sculpt, define or reshape.
Highlighting catches the light and emphasizes high points of your face such as cheekbones that would naturally catch the light. Again go for a shae that’s around 2 shades lighter than your skintone and yes a little shimmer is okay here.
Products we love for our contouring kits:
Medium skin: Benefit High Beam
Olive Skin: The Body Shop Honey Bronze Highlighting Dome
Dark Skin: Nars Multiple in Malaysia
Top Tip: Remember that dark shades decrease volume and light shades increase it.
How to contour a square face? Lea Michele
How to tell your face is square shape: Your face is about as long and wide, and you hairline and jawline are of even width. Your face is about as long as it is wide.
**Contour Technique: **
- Darken the sides of your forehead to slim your hairline and under your jawbone to make your jawline. Under your cheekbones, from ear to mid cheek and the middle of your forehead and chin.
- Highlight under your eyes and along your brow bone.
How to contour a round face? Selena Gomez
What a round face looks like: Your face is as wide as it is long, with no major angles along your jaw, chin, or hairline.
- Contour a square face by using your darker shade along the sides of your forehead and temples. And the area below your cheekbones curving in a “C” along your jawline. This will make it look narrower.
- Highlight in the middle of your forehead and chin. Then under your eyes in an inverted triangle shape, to brighten your eyes.
How to contour an Oval face? Beyonce
What an oval face looks like: An Upside down egg. With a rounded forehead and slightly more tapered chin. Lucky you, this face shape works for everything!
- Darken under your cheekbones right from your ears to the corner of your mouth and along the top of your forehead.
- Highlight the tops of your cheekbones, brow bone, down the centre of your nose and your cupids bow.
How to contour a heart shaped face? Kourtney Kardashian
What a heart shaped face looks like: A prominent chin and smaller jaw, wider forehead and cheekbones, and a widow’s peak.
Contour Technique: Heart-shaped faces need to darken the side of the forehead and temples to soften the width. As well as under your cheekbones from ear to mid cheek, and under your chin to soften the point.
Highlight under the eyes in the shape of an upside down triangle to brighten eyes. As well as in the middle of your forehead and chin to broaden these narrow areas.