The Incredible Korean Anti Aging Secrets
Posted by Rachael Wheeler in Skin Care
You’ve probably started to notice the abundance of Korean Beauty products and articles on their regimental Korean skincare regimes that have been infiltrating your beauty radars recently. Combine this with the photos of flawless skinned Korean women, who look like nubile teenagers with supple, creamy skin, and then it turns out they are old enough to be your gran!! It’s enough to make you sit up and take notice, their attention to skin is no mere fad and takes some serious devotion. It turns out that, yes, they have INCREDIBLE skin, but they they also follow, at minimum a 10 step (sometimes this can be up to an incredible 17 steps) Korean skincare routine before bed, and have a separate line up of products for the morning.
The traditional 10 step routine includes the following steps:
1) Make up removal 2) The Cleanse 3) The Exfoliator 4) Refreshing Toner 5) The Essence (a hydrating water) 6) The Ampoule (a super concentrated serum) 7) The Sheet Mask 8) The Eye Cream 9) The Moisturiser 10) The Nightcream
Serious kudos to these beautiful women for sticking to it, and boy does it show in the skin. However, we get it, you barely have time to swipe a makeup wipe over your face before falling into bed. So with some help from our Korean friends, we set out to find and achievable middle ground and takes under 15 minutes. A 5 step routine that satisfies the main aspects of the infamous Korean skincare routine, without taking all night. We discover the essentials worth the effort and more importantly, how to apply them effectively! But be warned, once you start this routine, you might just find that all this extra slathering of nourishing products makes you look just too damn good! And you’ll never want to look at a face wipe again.
1) The double cleanse: That’s right, cleansing twice will remove all traces and makeup, grime and leave your skin squeaky clean and ready to absorb all of those hydrating products. Start with a cleansing oil such as L’Oreal Extraordinary Oil Facial Cleansing Oil £7.99 to remove all traces of make up and then follow with your usual creamy cleanser. If you’re worried that double cleansing might strip your skin of all moisture then go for a super gentle one like the Avenue Extremely Gentle Cleanser Lotion £16.00, for the most gentle cleanse.
2) The Prepping Essence: The Korean skincare routine is ALL about moisture infusion. As damp skin is more permeable than dry skin, by splashing on a hydrating essence will replenishes what was lost through washing, AND it primes your skin to better absorb the products that follow. We can’t get enough of RMK Firming Essence £43.00 for its glowy benefits!
3) The Serum: A serum has a higher concentration of skin-nourishing ingredients than your regular moisturiser, and the lightweight texture allows it to penetrate even further into your skin. Hello youth boosting benefits! Fresh Rose Hydrating Serum £54.50 smells like a botanical garden and instantly makes my face look, tighter and brighter.
4) The Moisturiser. Time to seal all that goodness into your skin with a hydrating moisturiser. I know this is about Korean beauty, but the French really do skincare well. An incredible product for the money is La Roche Posay Ultra Fluid Intense £22.00 It really locks in moisture without making the face greasy.
5) All About the Eyes: Don’t forget to dot on an eye cream, as the skin around your eyes is the thinnest on your face. Eye creams are formulated to reduce irritation to the sensitive area, so gently dot on This Works Perfect Eyes Recovery Cream £28.00 and gently tap back and forth under the eye to work it in.
So there you have it, a super hydrating, moisture infusing, hopefully wrinkle busting, perfect skin routine. If it promises to do just half the things I wrote down then it’s definitely worth a try.
Perfect the double cleansing aspect of your Korean Skincare routine with our wide selection of cleansers here.
Want to give it a whirl, but not sure what skin type you are? Take our quick and free online beauty quiz to find out.