Tried & Tested - Do White Nail Paints Get a High 5?
Posted by Rachael Wheeler in Hands & Feet, Tried & Tested
Among the brights and neons I'm particularly fond of a stark white nail for summer. Celebrities such as Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Blake Lively and Beyonce have all been spotted with my much coveted white tips. Now before you start wrinkling your nose and shaking your head at this once 80’s faux pas, hear me out; It’s great on short nails, looks fab on a stiletto point (nail not shoetype, obviously) and when paired with a matt top coat it’s super chic. Not to mention it makes tans darker and nails look healthier in every beach selfie. Now who’s interested? Still not convinced? Well as an added bonus, white also make a fab nail primer, try it under an pastel shade and you’ll see the amazing result! As beauty editor, I’m here to give you the best beauty tips, not the worst I swear!
Now, anyone who knows their polish know light colours can be a little tricky, and often need three coats minimum. The best bet is to go for an opaque white polish rather than a sheer. However this can be tricky to spot if you’re just looking at the bottle. Luckily for you, I’ve tried and tested a real handful of white nail colours, so before you commit to the light side, take a read a find out which is the best one to go for.
As the suns shining over London this week, it seemed like the perfect time to lighten up. So as usual I’ve done all the hard work for you (I really do work hard I swear, it’s not all painting nails and popping on facemasks...oh wait...) and tried 6 white nail colours available on our site, at every price point, so read on to find the nail colours that will have you looking WHITE HOT in no time.
1) Sally Hansen Miracle Gel in Get Mod £9.99 is a warm white that dries with a gel like finish. The wide brush make it quick and easy to apply as well, for those who need a helping hand in the painting department.
2) OPI Nail Lacquer in Alpine Snow £12.99 is a fresh, crisp and clean true white polish. Goes on smoothly and evenly but I had to top it up with three coats to get a really even finish.
3) Orly Epix White Tips Nail Polish £10.50 was a two coat wonder. Which barely ever happens with a white polish. Also I didn't think it would matter but the rubber grip handle makes for super easy application and there wasn't a spill or smudge in sight.
4) Bourjois La Laque in White Spirit £5.39. One coat one of this I wasn't keen, it was streaky and thick. However this is where nail perseverance come in, never judge a nail colour on the first coat. By coat two, it has dried on smooth and glossy in a lovely creamy white. A great inexpensive option.
5) Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Polish in White Hot Love £2.99 has a slight grayish tint, which would make it super flattering for pale hands that don’t fancy as much of a stark contrast.
White nails are some of the best beauty tips you can get, so embrace the summer months with bright, white nails, even if the weather isn’t quite so sunny. If white isn’t quite for you, shop our extensive collection of nail colours here.
Want a salon quality mani at home. Don't forget to pick up some nail oil for the finishing touch.
Not sure which nail colours are best suited to your skintone? Take our quick and free beauty quiz to discover your beauty matches.
Another top beauty tip this summer is Sun Stripping, the freshest way to bronze. Read how here.